Wednesday, August 25, 2010

4 days till Ironman

very interesting.......i just moderated my comments and found that my review of the Ironman Phillipines 70.3 was mentioned on a GoTriathlete.com link. It's nice to be in the same paragraph as Terenzo Bozzone. http://www.gotriathlete.com/races_details.aspx?rid=12

quick summary of the day.

I woke up the same time as the rest of the guys in the house but decided not to swim this morning. I still had yellow phlegm and want to give myself the best chance to recovery before Sunday. The house plans on swimming tomorrow morning again. I'll head down to see the race venue but will end up reading a book by the beach for an hour or talk to some other athletes in the area.

9am we went for a 1 hour ride along the run course. From looking at the elevation profile I assumed that it was a Pancake Flat course! I'm glad to have biked the course because there are at least 2 'bigger' hills which would have played mental games with me. now that I know they're there and can expected them I won't feel defeated when I see them on Sunday. The first climb is about 30m gain. The pace we rode was decent..but I could feel the sickness in my lungs. The throat was dry and it was hard to push past aerobic.

After eating lunch at 10am, we headed out searching for CHEAP Peaches!! In addition to the 21.5 pounds (for $20) of MASSIVE, JUICY peaches, I bought 4 bottles of wine for La Frenz Winery in the Naramata Region. We pulled up to a regular looking house (which had a U-Pick plum sign), and was greeted by the sweetest old man. we went to the side of his property adjacent to a road and picked 10lbs of plums for $5!

After eating a 2nd lunch it was time to hit the pool and hot tub.....yes, even in 31C weather I was in the 103F hot tub trying to sweat out the sickness. It ended up being a cold/hot session to lighten the legs. I went for a 25 minute jog afterwards trying to maintain my IM Marathon pace of 5:45min/km. It felt painfully slow for the first 10 minutes, but then the heat caught up to me....and 5:45min/km suddenly felt comfortable.

We rented a house from a super great family. I'm glad we got to meet them before they took off to Revelstoke and Calgary for the week. I'm in a jr high students room and my feet dangle off the end of the bed! The walls are lime green! As i'm sitting here in bed my throat feels dry, but the cough is gone (for now). I'm a little nervous about race day and should do some research on racing post-cold. From obsessively reading triathletes blogs, I know they tend to decline starting vs racing post-sickness. I wonder if it's for health and medical reasons, or if it's to avoid a bad time to their record.

Anyways...it's almost 10pm which is my bed time!

No comments: